Monday, September 28, 2009

Bloggers weigh in on Generosity

As I find them, I'll add extended comments and reviews, positive and negative, from the blogosphere to the list below. Quite a conversation developing here, with familiar themes as to the varied takes on Powers's abilities as a novelist. You can check on in-print reviews on the main Powers Generosity reviews page at richardpowers.net, which frequently includes hotlinks to the reviews themselves.

  • Book Sherpa
  • Brainiac responds eloquently to Peter D. Kramer's Slate review.
  • The Complete Review
  • Conversational Reading: "James Wood's Richard Powers Takedown."
  • Ed Champion's Reluctant Habits entry, also looking at the Wood review, but from a differing perspective: "Needless to say, as I anticipated, Wood has again demonstrated his predictably vanilla failings with idea-driven novels. He is once again hysterical, starving and naked in a sad but interesting way, about a novel that is not always intended to be explicitly realist."
  • The 941
  • Ted Gioia on BC Books
  • Anne Trubek on the Good.is blog. Takes apart a specific aspect of the James Wood argument, regarding Powers's use of speech-recognition software.
  • Paul LeFarge at Barnes and Noble weighs in with a review.
  • Mary Whipple on "Seeing the World Through Books": "Once again, Richard Powers has created a novel which reinvigorates the concept of the 'novel of ideas,'"
  • How To Furnish a Room
  • Mostly Fiction
  • Tony's Book World
  • bookeywookey: "Three very important words: new Richard Powers."
  • Salmagundi: Newport, Oregon, Public Library
  • Laguna Dispatch: "I love this writer. He makes me think, he makes me laugh, and sometimes cry, but never manipulates my emotions. No escapist fiction, rather an intelligent exploration of human potential, and failure, ever so much more meaningful than the harsh reality of harsh reality."
  • Picks of the Week
  • Evan Selinger's "Philosophy of Technology" blog: "His most accessibly written work, the text breathes fresh life into the basic questions concerning the nature, scope, and desirability of enhancing personal and collective forms of experience."
  • Rockaliser Baby: Best fiction book of the decade!
  • Food For Thought (in Dutch)
  • Emerging Writers Network: "But the best novel I’ve read in this overwhelming crop of new fiction is Richard Powers’ Generosity: An Enhancement. Powers is always good, always a heady mix of good storytelling and extravagant ideas, normally having something to do with science and its ethical dilemmas. This is one of his best."
  • Chazz W. "...a work of fiction qua non-fiction, that is so dense, so full of ideas, so miraculously constructed, yet so joyous to read, that a normal “review” simply cannot do it justice. Certainly, I can’t do it justice in the normal way. Perhaps I’m doomed to fail with any approach. But I’ll soldier on." An unusually ambitious web review.
  • "Unignorable Possibilities" on LabLit.com: review by Jon Turney.
  • Puck, by Brian Charles Clark.
  • The Faster Times. Review by Vincent Rossmeier.
  • The Last Word.
  • 2 comments:

    Chuck said...

    Wow - amazing to read some of these negative reviews. I'm enjoying every moment and word of "Generosity". I put it down only to ponder and create from the inspiration. Powers' words resonate with my own thoughts like no other author.

    I'd love to find some online discussion/reading groups taking on this book and it's many story elements. Just made it past the description of Thassadit's video projects, and find myself wanting to seek out or produce such works of transcendence.

    Mary Whipple said...

    I thoroughly enjoyed this book and have just posted a 950 word review of it on my site: "Seeing the World Through Books," at http://marywhipplereviews.com/books/?p=10908

    I've also added it to my list of appropriate Book Club Selections. Best, Mary